Cooking 101

Not everyone can cook. Some people have it and others just don’t. Over the holidays I saw a lot of posts of food on various social media outlets. I saw some things that looked great and then I saw things that will make you throw up. Just because you were passed down a recipe does not mean you are a cook overnight. Cooking takes time and it’s an art. Its not hard but it’s not easy spices have to be on point, you have to watch your temperatures, and you have to go with your gut. The Neelys (what happened to them by the way) who use to be on the food network cooked some decent food and I bought their cookbook. I tried 2 things from the book¬† and they both turned out bad. I had to remix their dish into my own thing and change up a few things in order for it to taste good.

I learned to cook by accident. My mom was a great cook but I never bothered to learn I hated the kitchen. Now that she is gone I should have paid more attention to some of her dishes. I cooked for the first time when my mom dealt with her first bout of cancer. I was in high school probably around 15 or so. She was so sick that she could not fix any dinner and I was tired of eating cereal everyday. We had food in the house but I didn’t know how to cook it. She was so sick but I managed to get her to walk me through the steps on cooking an egg. I cooked the egg and my mom tasted it…..she said not bad for someone who never cooked in her life. She said it needs salt and some pepper but other than that it was eatable. The next day I tried again and got it right. Over the next few years I learned some basics and took my time and learned how to cook. I followed recipes at first then I started experimenting and doing my own thing. Now I don’t follow recipes at all I just add what I feel I want. I use to own a catering business in College to make some extra money and cooked for a few people.¬† I like to cook and I am good at it but I don’t love it. It’s not a passion for me but I do okay. Can you cook? Do you follow directions or do your own thing?

Sneak peak of my apple pie as I was putting the crust on top. All my recipes will start to be on Kokoa Magazine website under Kokoa Food I have a few up now and even more to come soon. So for those who want some great simple meals check it out.

8 Responses to Cooking 101

1. BossyGirl says:

I’m coming over for that pie! I really had to learn to cook and once I did it was on!

2. Nellie says:

Thats pretty awesome about your catering business…my side hustle is baking (my cupcake business) so that is something that comes really natural to me…I do love to cook though, I am an extremely picky eater so when I find something that I like, I usually just repeat it!

3. Rhonda says:

That is so true! just because you have the recipe does not make you a cook! This sneak peek makes me week! I need an apple pie in my life!

4. Michelle says:

Girl what haven’t you done??? I can cook but I don’t have a passion for it. Every now and then I’ll get a umption to just cook some things up but not on a regular basis. I love cooking my grandmother’s biscuits when I’m down because I feel closer to her.

5. Teems says:

Girl that looks good. I have been having fails in the kitchen lately and it has been making me mad. Lol always when I want to make something big and grand from a new recipe. I am taking it easy for a little while. I have to go check out your recipe.

I know I have been quiet lately, but I’m still here. :-) Missed reading your blogs and connecting.

6. Teems says:

Oh and I stayed out the kitchen myself so I had to follow a lot of instructions. Which I regret. I still look for recipes because I get bored easily. But I can throw something together own my own.

You have seen my transformation from when we first connected nearly 2 year ago! I am actually learning to love cooking. I think I am just at the entry level. I can follow a recipe but I am slowly learning what spices taste good together and I can even eyeball now without measuring. Thank you for the time you’ve taken out to pass me along a recipe or three. I’ll be over on Kokoa stealing recipes for usre!

8. Katherine G says:

Your pie looks delicious!!!! I learned to cook from a lot of people. My mom, my aunts, my mother-in-law, and my home economics class. Sometimes I like to look up recipes or just experiment but I would never call myself a chef.