Guest Post: Taking charge of your health

Another one of my favorite bloggers has stopped by to give her take on taking charge of your health. Make sure you check her blog out http://www.lifeishardlaughanyway.com/ and follow her on twitter @anoptimisticmom and on facebook. Keeping up with the health theme of the month Latorsha has given us a great post on what we need to be doing for ourselves.

Take charge of your health

Listen to your healthcare providers but don’t be stupid!

It is important to communicate honestly with your physicians and follow their directions for caring for yourself. BUT it is also important to listen to your body. For example don’t do things that are making you worse. It could be a sign of another problem. If walking 30 minutes was prescribed but you find yourself getting chest pain, listen to your body and stop. Consult with your physician immediately.

Do your homework and don’t cheat.

When possible research your complaints online, at the library, or a place that provides health care information. Although you aren’t diagnosing yourself being educated about the possibilities is good. This will also empower you to ask questions and gain more insight from the health care providers.

Now let me clarify what I mean by don’t cheat. Don’t expect to just ask around the Sunday dinner table and get professional advice, unless there is a professional at the table. Advice from someone who has no experience with the topic is not necessarily the best person to ask. You see, we all know someone who thinks they know everything about everything. But that is not the case. So don’t try to take short cuts and cheat. Do your homework the right way.

Make your health a priority now not when you get time.

I truly believe some people have heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, etc. because they don’t make time for their own health. Their excuse? Too busy. Well, there will come a time when you have run out of time. I’ve talked to people who can’t remember the last time they saw a doctor. I’m talking 20+ years.

If you have unexplained pains, or if things just don’t seem right seek healthcare advice. Yes. I know there are challenges. I understand. I been there. But while you are waiting for the perfect timing you could be ultimately running out of time.

Take charge of your own health today. I truly believe you will be glad that you did.

I have listed just a few ways to take charge of your health but there are many more. With that said I want to hear from you! How do you take charge of health?

This guest post by me, Latorsha, was written with the same disclosures that I use on my own personal blog. Please read it by clicking here for the full policy.

Opinions for this post are my own and should not be used as a professional resource, as I do not blog as an expert.

11 Responses to Guest Post: Taking charge of your health

Great post! I am all over my health, except dieting! hehe I can’t give up certain things BUT I do know my body and when something is continually not right, I call my doc. I ain’t playing. My hubs on the other hand, hates the doctor. I told him its not fair to me or himself if he doesn’t watch the signs and take care of himself. For in the long run, who is going to have to watch him get sick or take care of him due to his negligence. Just not fair!

2. Mrs. Pancakes says:

The hubby and I take charge by exercising, eating right and taking our vitamins! It helps that the hubby works in the health industry…sometimes I feel like he knows better than some practionners! Great guest post for the new year!

I agree, we have to make time for our health now, not later. I don’t like hearing about people’s health creeping up on them. We should all be taking charge now.

All great points Latorsha!

4. Amen! I can completely relate to this with my experience taking BC. I took charge and educated myself then made the best decision for me.
    Great post!

5. Dr. Reginia says:

Good post.

It is important to know what’s good and not so good with your body. Many of today’s illnesses and ailments can be remedied by diet/exercise. IMO, physicians are too quick to offer a pill, then it’s a pill to help that pill and ultimately the pills are out of control.

Of course, at times pills are necessary, but many times alternative are good options.

Loving your topics.

6. Terri says:

This post is so true. As much as I hate to admit it, the doctor may have the credentials but sometimes you know your body best.

7. Great post!!! I am all about taking charge of your health. Even the smallest changes add up to big results.

8. Latorsha says:

Loving all the advice in the comments! Thanks everyone!
    Kita, thanks for the opportunity to write about a topic that is close to my heart.

9. Lisa says:

It’s not always to eat the proper diet and exercise when everyone is so busy working and trying to keep up in this fast paced life. But if you don’t- it can stop you dead in your tracks and you’ll no choice but to be taken care of or take care of yourself. You cannot do the things you need to do or want to do if you don’t have your health.

We so often put our health on the backburner when it should indeed be our main point of concern. I am guilty of not taking my BP medicine as I should and I haven’t been running. Sometimes we really have to spank our ownselve on the hand. We know better and still continue to do the wrong thing. I am vowing to make my health a priority. Thank you for making me feel bad…in a good kind of way!

11. Pingback: Take charge of your health