Mommy Monday: Fairy Tales

Welcome to my first post on motherhood. You know I will keep to the same humorist tone with that said I am going in:

Santa Clause, Easter Bunny, and Tooth Fairy are just a few of the fairy tale characters that kids learn about. What do kids really know about these characters? Is it what we tell them or what they see on tv? For instance my sons tooth came out and he did not mention the tooth fairy and when I asked him if he wanted the tooth fairy to visit him he looked at me as if I was crazy. See I have never mentioned the tooth fairy to him nor come to think of it I don’t think he knows what the Easter bunny is either. He learned about Santa Clause in school so it is safe to say that all of these fairy tales I told him nothing about. I was talking to a friend of mines and she said that she tells her kids that mommy and daddy got these gifts and Santa Clause did not contribute time nor money into anything. I was like whoa (she is meaner than me) I have always said to my son that Santa Clause is coming but sometimes I slip and may say that I got him the present or his nosy but goes into my closet and finds stuff. I remember when I found out there was no Santa I was about 8 and came downstairs for a drink of water and saw my mom wrapping presents. I was mad as hell I screamed you lied to me there is no Santa my mom being who she is said, I did not lie you just assumed don’t blame me you believe everything you hear. (come to think of it she never really said there was a Santa, she never corrected me either)  Do you tell your kids about the different fairy tale characters? When was the first time you found out there was no Santa Clause?

This entry was posted in I said it and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Mommy Monday: Fairy Tales

1. brandi says:

My son is 10 and still believes in the tooth fairy, but not Santa or the Easter Bunny! I still leave money under his pillow at night or a small toy. I also write him a small note to remind him to be a good boy! The note seems to work for a day or two! LOL! My husband says I baby him, which I probably do. They have their whole rest of their lives to become mature adults. I just want him to enjoy being a kid!!

2. My mother made it clear to me that there was no Santa from jump street. She didn’t mess around with him or the Easter Bunny. I don’t know that we’ll get into that with our son. We actually haven’t even talked about it. Hmmm, guess we should, huh?

3. Sadly i think i have always known there was NO santa claus…i am still debating whether to let my future kids in on the secret!

4. I knew about Santa Claus not being real from a very young age. My parents just had to make it clear so I wouldn’t expect gifts from a fictitious character, especially when they could not afford the items I dreamed about.
    My son seems interested in some of the fairy tale characters, but more so just to get the gift that might be associated with it. lol

5. Roses daughter says:

I found out that there was no Santa around 10 years old. It started one year when my cousin showed me the bikes that Santa was brining my other cousins and then on Christmas Eve, I actually SAW my mother with the bag of toys sneaking to the living room. That killed Christmas for me, all of the magic was gone. :-(

6. Denise says:

I never believed in any of those characters growing up and I wonder if parents can even pull those stories off with the presence of the internet. I think kids care more about the toys/treats than the characters anyways.

I’m still debating about telling her. It’s one thing her hearing the story (like any other story), and it’s another for her to wish for some character to give her something that we cannot afford. Another blogger mentioned to me that my daughter could be that mean kid in school that kills the joy for other kids if I tell her the truth…but who knows.

8. My parents always maintained there was a Santa Claus. But there was no dramatic reveal – I can’t remember actually believing!

I think this year my husband is all on the bandwagon of letting the cat out of the bag. He is all like I don’t want my son thinking some fake man bought him this stuff. I work hard..blah,blah,blah!

I don’t remember the exact moment I found out there wasn’t a Santa Claus but it couldn’t have been that devastating since I have no recollection of it.

10. Mandy says:

We never believed in any of those characters growing up and therefore don’t mention them to the kids. My husband and I make sure we take credit for it all.

11. Sandy says:

I always knew that there was no Santa Claus, although at some stage as a child I hoped he was there somewhere.