My son is 7 and I have no idea what to get him for Christmas. My hubs and I had an argument last weekend about buying the xbox for my son. My hubs has the new xbox already in the home are you fool you want to buy another one so your son can have his own….you have got to be kidding me. Y’all better set up a schedule or something and deal because I will not spend a couple of hundreds for no 7 year old who doesn’t even play the wii anymore. He is cray cray……
For the first time I am stumped at what to get my son for Christmas he already has a tablet, he has the wii (which further lets me know he don’t need no xbox) on his list he asked for a cell phone……let me take a minute to laugh….he is 7 what I look like getting a 7 yr old a cell phone. He asked for an ipod I debated on getting that for him but does he truly need another electronic device so I had to have a conversation with him about his Christmas list
Me: I don’t know what to tell Santa to get you for the holidays
Son: I want the xbox, the new wii, and an ipod
Me: Santa is broke and he can’t afford those things can you pick something a bit cheaper.
Son: No Santa can pick one thing he doesn’t have to get me all of them
Me: Let me make this a bit clearer Santa is not buying any of those things he has millions of other kids to give to and his budget does not allow for the expenses of each child on his list
Son: budget whaaaaaaaaa
Me: Santa ain’t getting you nothing on the list now pick something cheaper.
Son: …*thinks* okay how about all of the ninjago stuff
Son: Ninjago let me go get my book………..
He then proceeds to get his encyclopedia book that has all the ninjago toys and stuff in it………..I forgot he got that book at his book fair and I still don’t know who ninjago is so I had to go to google and I found out quick what it was.
Conclusion: I got him 3 of the ninjago people he told me about I can’t find the rest and shipping and handling is to expensive for me at this moment. The rest of my holiday shopping was done through small businesses. Are you done shopping yet? I don’t normally get anything for Christmas since my birthday is so close to it……my birthday is Monday as a matter of fact…(I actually had to go look that up cause I had no idea it was Monday I knew the date was coming up but didn’t know which day smh)
My picks for the week quote, outfit something for Christmas and something odd. Enjoy
Quotes ~ In this season of giving this is a great lesson for all.
Outfit ~ I don’t care what anyone says I love me some cute Christmas sweaters if my hair was just a little longer I would put it up in a bun too and rock the mess out of this.
Christmas ~ Experiences instead of things for Christmas I love this idea
Something unique ~ Draw on a light bulb to have a cute design….I had no idea you could do this I would do something like this for the kids
News of the week
1. If you haven’t read our new issue of Kokoa by now what are you waiting for?
Thank you all who were in this issue, who shared it, and who read it. As we move into the new year Kokoa will start to reach out to people who are what this magazine is all about to bring you more in depth news on what real people go through. If you want to be a contributor please let me know. I am looking for a solid team who will do what needs to be done to bring the vision of Kokoa to others. Seems like people don’t wanna do anything for free and I understand the magazine is volunteer at this time but when the time comes for us to get paid don’t say I didn’t offer the chance to be a part of the magazine.
2. Giveaways are nice but let me tell you how I do my giveaways if I happen to have one I do not pick random people who just happen to come on my blog just to comment for a giveaway. If the raffle thingy picks someone who is not a regular then I will click it again until it gives me someone. One of my twitter buddies brought this up a few weeks ago about people winning things on blogs they just come on when it’s time to win. Homey don’t play that. If I have a giveaway don’t even bother putting in if you don’t read my blog on a regular basis. I don’t mean you come by twice a month that won’t work either. I only do giveaways for people who comment on my site at least once a week. One of the reasons I don’t really advertise giveaways heavily is because I want my regulars to have a chance to win.
3. One of my first supporters of Kokoa is closing down her consulting business. I feel so bad for her because she was such a big supporter and her business is much needed for those who don’t know anything about press releases or how to run a business. I talked to another person who closed down her business also a few days ago and the question came to my mind. With the internet giving you directions and free tools to do things on your own is there a need for marketing companies, or resume writing companies, or even web design companies? We do okay but for the most part many people are doing their own websites…(which by the way some of them…… horrendous) anywhoo some claim they don’t want to pay for someone to do the website because it costs too much. I know several people including ourselves who do websites for less than what others are charging way less. I do logos and print work for little or nothing and people still don’t bite. I had one lady say well I can do a logo with picmonkey but then still had to pay us because it looked warped and they got tired of changing the colors because you see although I love picmonkey it does not have layers so if you mess something up you will have to start all over again. If I didn’t have a hubs who knew computers I would be paying someone to do a website or a logo for me. There are things you can research online to do but if someone is offering to do them and take some of it off your hand for a low price or practically for free without any catches why don’t you take them up on it. Now in the same breath I understand some people are real finnicky about their sites and like to be a perfectionist but no one is perfect and everyone needs help for something.
How do you handle death? Do you cry, do you drink, do you ignore it, do you suffer in silence?
Everyone handles death differently. For me I handle it by making myself laugh. When my mother died I had people laughing at the funeral. My mom’s friend pulled me to the side and said I needed to grieve but she didn’t know that was my way of grieving. My mom had me going to funerals ever since I was a baby. I would attend at least 4 to 5 of them a year so I was use to it. My mom would always whisper to me and say don’t you fall all over the casket after me you will see me again. Everyone has to die I prefer you cry when babies come in this world because the things they have to deal with is worse than me going to heaven. I took that to heart and to this day I never truly cried for my mom. I shed a few tears at the funeral but to really just sit and have a big boo hoo…..I never did.
My husband’s uncle died of a heart attack on Thanksgiving morning of last week. He was a well known person where the hubs is from. My husband doesn’t take death to well and I think it’s because he has not been exposed to it like I have. I remember telling him one day after I lost all my family that you don’t know what death feels like because you haven’t lost anyone close to you. When I say close I mean someone like a mother or brother or father. We all have family that if they died we would do nothing more than show up pay our respect and move on. No love lost nor gained.
I also think people handle death based on how the person died. I think I handle knowing it’s coming better than if it was sudden. Sudden death is just like whoa there is no explanation and I think that is the hardest of them all. Like the sudden death of Paul Walker one of my favorite actors from my favorite franchise The Fast and the Furious. He died doing what he did in movies how ironic is that. It was so sudden and so harsh prayers go up for both families of the two men who lost their life. How do you deal with the death of a loved one?
I missed last week so we are back with my favorite picks this week for a quote, outfit, something for the upcoming holiday (Christmas), and something unique or odd. If you do a pinterest post let me know so I can stop by and take a look. Enjoy
Quote ~ This is so true. Just because you don’t like sally sue doesn’t mean I won’t.
Outfit ~ Perfect New Years Eve outfit….if I was in the house who got time for a one shoulder outcha in these cold skreets…..( I am aware words are spelt wrong for all my grammar po po)
Christmas ~ DIY cocoa jars perfect gift ideas because I love cocoa.
Something unique ~ Gorge I would not eat them but I would display them. Tiffany blue candy apples.
News of the week
1. How was your Thanksgiving? We put up our tree I decided to do the colors purple and gold. A lot of people have done purple and silver but I wanted to get away from the silver. I have done silver and blue for the past 4 years it was time for a change. I came up with the idea for purple and gold from a tree topper my mother bought for her own tree before she passed. I found it in some of my mom’s things I had up in my attic.
Then I enlisted the kids to help me put the tree together.
Zaza put this one on the tree and said mommy take a pic of it after I let it fly free……*side eye* I did as I was told for a change
Finished product looks awesome I would show you a picture as soon as I find out how to not have blurry lights. For now this will have to do.
2. Never listen to what others say when they say a restaurant is good. Always go and see for yourself. I am going to tell you the truth about food you know if I tell you something about it you can take it to the bank. We visited Mary Macs here in Atlanta because my brother in law came in to town (love him he is the only one I can stand in my hubs family) and he wanted some soul food. I had heard the place was good but never been. I went and the food was a 6 on a scale of 10. The appetizers were better than the main courses. I cook better fried chicken than they do. Hubs had the smothered chicken he said it was horrible, my son had the burger he said mom this is not good. The fried okra was good and the sweet potato souffle was good but the rest of it ….no. I will not be visiting there again and did I mention they were high as hell. I know we had to pay gratuity but without gratuity it was still 60 bucks I pay less than that at our favorite hibachi spot.
3. Thank you to everyone who commented on my anniversary post that was the most viewed post I have had all year thanks to you all. I have done a lot of reflecting these past couple of months and I am getting so much better at dealing with things and people. I think I am finally feeling free for some reason. This is my theme song for the next year take a listen it’s featuring my favorite artist Emeli Sande my favorite line in the song ” This world ain’t exactly what my heart expected, …….maybe something’s wrong with me….at least I am free”
Today I celebrate 3 years blogging. It’s been a long time and I have had some great experiences. Here is what I learned in my 3 years so far. Highlighted will be the main lesson in each thing I learned
1. There are too many bloggers. Yeah I said it. It’s beginning to be over-saturated. You have bloggers who think they are all that and will try to be the top blogger when sally sue doing the same thing you doing for less money and she gets the same amount of traffic. There is no top blogger.
2. I have been blogging for 3 years and I have not truly made any connections in blogging with people. You see other bloggers collaborating writing books, going to events together, going out to eat but I have not done that but a few times and I do mean a few (like twice). I think people want to see more pictures of me or see me to truly feel they know me. I also think people are afraid to speak to me because they think I may cuss them out. I actually got an email from a blog buddy a few months ago about that. She was scared to ask me to be in the magazine…….smdh. I am real but I am cautious in this internet world.
3. Another reason people may not feel connected to me is because of the way I look. There is one blogger who told another blogger (I don’t call names) that I looked homely and was not dressed fashionable enough to attend one of the events I had attended a while ago. I get that I don’t have on the best clothes which is one reason I don’t go to many events anymore. I just don’t feel like the ridicule. NO I am not worried about what I am wearing but I am tired of the stares when I go to blog events. I clearly don’t fit in so why go to be the laughing stock. I can read between the lines and the lines are very readable in this blog world.
4. People will disagree with your posts. Don’t share what you are not ready to hear feedback on. I have posts in my trash bin that I wanted to share but know that I am not ready for the comments so I don’t share or I erase them. People will not like your opinion and can be nasty. Luckily in the 3 years of my blogging I have only gotten 3 nasty comments and I cussed them out erased and blocked them it’s as simple as that. I want your opinion but don’t be nasty about it.
It’s been great blogging but I am trying to be more than a blogger to the point where I don’t even want to be called one anymore. I am on a new Journey with everything in my life and I can’t wait to see how it unfolds.
Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving see you all next Week Tuesday.
Many people are thankful for many things. I am thankful for my kids, a roof over our head, and food to eat. Many people don’t have that. The basics being food and shelter. I am one who not too long ago didn’t have the basics of food. Around Thanksgiving a few years ago I would volunteer at the shelters to feed those less fortunate than I because we don’t know when we may need a helping hand or food to eat. We must never think we are above others and help when we can. Over the course of the next two weeks my family and I will be making some big big big changes in our basics. Stay tuned to find out what that is in the meantime I am going to be taking a mini break from the blog so that the kids and I can get ready to get into the Christmas spirit and put up our things. You may see me one day next week to wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving and to celebrate my 3 year anniversary on this blog which will actually be on the 25th of this month. Of course you can keep up with me on Kokoa Magazine
You can also keep up with me through social media and don’t forget our #mylifesphotos challenge. We want to see your posts especially for the Thanksgiving meals because we nosy like that. Find out more details on our site. http://kokoamag.com/something-old/
I was not financially compensated for this post. I received a sample for review purposes. The opinions are completely my own.
Who doesn’t like a nice clean shaved man? I asked the hubs to try this out I even asked him if I can do his nose hair and hair in his ears…..he gave me a side eye. Anywhoo this switch blade came with a lot of great pieces and tools to help with quick trimming.
I asked the hubs to try it out on his beard and he said no I said pretty please and he said he would think about it…….I kept bugging him and he finally did it.
He did it in his ears first
Then he tried it on his beard. It worked well to clean up those lines and make him look even better. All in all he said its great to clean out unwanted hair around his face, nose, and ear area. He said his ears felt clean and he can now hear me when I call him………….
What does your boo use to help with those unwanted hairs?
News of the week
1. On last week we tried the new red lobster biscuits in the box. I had my doubts cause ain’t nothing can replace that biscuit from the lobster. I was wrong this shat was so good omg that butter sauce…..you must use real butter to set it off margarine just won’t do. I can only find them in wally world or samsclub go get you some stat so easy to make with dinner.
2. Are you ready for the holidays? It’s a hard time of the year for me since I have no family to spend the holidays with so the loneliness is at an all time high. Of course I have a few friends here in GA but I don’t want to impose on them and their family time so I normally spend the holidays with just the kids and I. The hubs goes over to his family house and we don’t get along so I am slowly distancing myself I rather be by myself for the holidays than around people who only say hi and bye. I am going to get the tree down next week and we will decorate. I don’t do all that outside stuff because I am not taking it down so the only decor we will do is a reef on the door and the tree. What are the colors of your tree?
3. Big thanks to Lashawn for our Christmas/Holiday issue pictures. I have not gotten them printed yet so busy trying to get customers out the way but here is a sneak peek. The rest you will have to see in our new holiday issue out Dec 1st.